Sunday 19 December 2010

Knot plus

Sunday 19 December 2010

A villager rang me yesterday to say she had come across a wader beside the Thames in an exhausted state.  It was put under a hedge to avoid predators but when she went back it had died.  I took delivery of this today and it proved to be a Knot.  Quite what it was doing here, so far from its normal home on the coast, I have no idea.  They do turn up in Oxfordshire from time to time but more normally during spring or autumn migration.


Having made the effort to get out of a nice warm house I decided to prolong my agony for a short while by walking down the brook and then along the river.  I came across a Kingfisher trying its luck in the brook and, later on the Thames found a Water Rail, 2 female Goosanders, a pair of Wigeon, a Little Grebe and good numbers of Cormorants, Mute Swans, Canada Geese, Tufted Ducks and Gulls (Black-headed, Lesser Black-backed and Herring). Back at home there was a female Blackcap in the garden with large numbers of Greenfinch, Chaffinch and Goldfinches and the usual odd Reed Bunting, Robin, Blue Tit, Coal Tit etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment